Plate cost based on yield at top
The classic dish, made famous by chain restaurants, is updated here with grass fed beef that is briefly marinated and grilled quickly. Make sure to thinly slice against the grain to get the most flavor and texture out of the high quality beef.
- 2 lbs Cape Grim Skirt Steak, trimmed
- 1/2 C soy sauce
- 1/2 C lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 2 t cumin seed, ground
- 2 t fresh ground black pepper
- 1 T chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ea bell peppers, julienned
- 1 sweet onion, julienned
- 16 ea small flour tortillas
- pico de gallo
- Combine soy sauce, lime juice, canola oil, brown sugar, cumin, black pepper, chili powder, and garlic in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Place marinade and steaks in ziplock bag, remove air and seal. Let marinate up to 24 hours.
- Prepare a hot grill and remove steaks from refrigerator and let come to room temperature. Grill on both sides until cooked to desired doneness. Let rest 10 minutes then slice against the grain and add to platter.
- In a hot cast iron pan, place 1 T canola oil, onions and peppers. Stir and sear on high heat for 2-3 minutes until just cooked but still crispy. Add 1 T lime juice and 1 T soy sauce, toss quickly and remove from pan.
- To serve, add peppers to the platter and serve with warm tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo.